The department of civil engineering incepted in 2002 started serving for 30 students with its due approval from AICTE, New Delhi and affiliation from Anna University .In 2007, the intake was increased to 60 and in 2008 the dept was awarded accreditation status by National board of Accreditation council (NBA), New Delhi.
The department has taken initiatives and efforts towards bringing the best from the candidates. As well, the department interacts with the professionals from the industry and updates the students with the latest trend along with their class room learning. This instilled the basic idea of inaugurating the association, a forum exclusively for the civil engineers, christened ‘PACE’ [professional association of civil engineers] on 20th July 2007. The formation of their association focused on bridging the gap between the industry and institution. Through this association, the department hosted technical events at state and National level.
In 2007, the department hosted a national level symposium, ‘ACME 07’, which received a great response from the students across the nation. The best three paper presentations were awarded cash prizes and published the technical papers in the souvenir. And also we have conducted second national level symposium during the year 2010 in the name of ‘ESTRUCTURA 2K10’.
Through the institute industry academia, the department entered in to an MOU (Memorandum of Understanding) with the leading construction companies during 2008, namely CCCL, PR constructions, popular foundations and Sreesh consolidates. These companies in addition to providing the real –time exposure to the students, has given their consent towards providing in-plant training , on-site visit etc and also expressed their wish towards extending job opportunities for the meritorious and performing candidates.
The faculty members are motivated to participate in the Faculty-Development programme organized by Universities and institutions and thereby help them to involve in R&D activities. These sorts of participations boost the level of confidence and aid them present better before the students.
The department was sanctioned fund of Rs 20,00,000 from AICTE under the MODROBS (Modernization and Removal of Obsolescence scheme) towards upgrading the existing facilities in the laboratories.
The department, with its dedicated and committed service, has produced University Rank holders & gold medalist from the 1st batch. Till date, the department has successfully sent four batches and majority of them got placed in leading companies that includes,
- Port Trust (Chennai)
- CEE DEE YES Construction, Chennai
- Bharath Construction, Bangalore
- Nagarjuna Construction, Hyderabad
And there are students who got placed in companies aboard especially in Saudi Arabia, Singapore & Malaysia. Also students pursue higher studies in reputed Universities namely REC, GCT, and Anna University.
- The Department of Civil Engineering started in the academic year 2002 -2003 with an intake of 30 students rose to 60 students presently
- Approved by AICTE and affiliated to Anna University, Chennai.
- Our department has well equipped laboratories
- Provided 85% Placement for the last two batches
- Produced very good results with one university rank holder.
- Civil Engineering Department Accredited By NBA on July 2008.
- AICTE sanctioned a Project Fund of about 4 lakhs for MODROBS (Mordanisation and Removal of Obsolescence Scheme).
- In central library totally 704 volumes are available with 296 titles
- In department library totally 200 volumes are available
To prepare technically strong and socially responsible professionals in the branch of civil engineering who could contribute towards the growth of society as well as Nation with international standard and thereby elevating the status of our country in the global platform.
GOAL Long term
- Inculcate great values for the holistic development of the individual
- Preparing the learners in to true professionals by providing them complete knowledge of their chosen area so as to enable them to face challenges ahead confidently.
- Providing rich learning ambience with research inputs to assist them in the pursuit of knowledge.
- Extending support through industry institute interface for real time exposure which could provide better insight and supplement their theoretical understandings.
- Encouraging the students to do projects to make their learning more application oriented.
GOAL Short term
- To emerge in to a research and learning centre with high end technology and global standard providing great knowledge to the learners across the globe
- To get associated with the industries to bring in real time exposure so as to enable them to be strong in their theoretical understanding.
- To work towards providing the students/learners the latest trend in their chosen area and upgrade them with the requisite skills that would make them to be successful in their professional as well as personal lives.
- To develop Civil Engineers who will compete well in the global market.
- To produce excellent results through effective teaching and learning process.
- To expose students to the field realities and recent developments through symposiums, great lecturers, in-plant training and industrial visits.
- To strengthen Industry - Institute Interaction and Research activities through consultancy and sponsored research.
- To mound the students into knowledge creators and nation builders.